Tap your inner explorer for this expedition on some of MoCo's most scenic paved bike trails. We'll also stop by Rockville's Antique and Classic Car Show for vittles and vintage autos. Join us!
PLEASE NOTE: This intermediate-level ride will be 21 miles in length and will include a few moderate hills. While most of the ride is on bike paths and quiet residential streets, a portion of the route (about 1.5 miles) requires riding in a bike lane on a fairly busy road. In addition, we request that you be capable of maintaining a moderately brisk pace of about 13 mph in the flat portions of the route. Lastly, please bring a bike lock and some cash for food at the car show.
Click HERE for a larger version of the above proposed route map.
The ride will begin at the Rock Creek Trail trailhead parking lot at Lake Needwood. (You'll see the address and other specifics at the top of this page. You can also click HERE for a Google map to calculate driving directions.)
Following a clockwise triangular loop, we'll explore three unique bike paths in Montgomery County: (1) the ICC Trail, a fun and toll-free way to travel the new Intercounty Connector highway; (2) the Matthew Henson Trail, a scenic ramble honoring the African-American adventurer and trailblazer who co-discovered the North Pole; and (3) the venerable Rock Creek Trail.
About 15 miles into the ride, we'll leave the Rock Creek Trail for the short (2 miles) trip to Rockville Civic Center Park, where we'll spend a little time at the city's 55th annual Antique and Classic Car Show. Recognized as the region's premier automobile exhibition, the show features more than 500 vintage vehicles. Admission is FREE. Food vendors will be available for those wanting a bite to eat. Please bring a bike lock and some cash for lunch. After spending about an hour at the show, we'll pedal the final 4 miles back to Lake Needwood.
(At top of Meetup description: The 2013 "People's Choice" winner -- a 1960 Porsche 356 B Roadster -- seen in front of Glenview Mansion at Rockville Civic Center Park.)
Below: Browsing more than 500 icons of internal combustion:
Below: A boardwalk on the scenic Matthew Henson Trail:
Below: Bike Rockville members at picturesque Lake Needwood:
We hope you'll join us! :)
Participation requirements and considerations:
• Bicycling involves inherent risks and requires that participants be in proper physical condition. When you RSVP "yes" to a Bike Rockville event, that RSVP is your digital signature attesting that you have read, understood, and agreed to the group's Liability Waiver and Release, located here: http://files.meetup.com/13403652/RBAC_Bike_Rockville_Liability_Waiver.pdf
• If you attend an event with one or more guests, those individuals will be required to sign a hard-copy version of the Liability Waiver and Release in order to participate. If your guest is a minor, you will be required to sign the waiver on the minor's behalf.
• HELMETS ARE REQUIRED for all riders on every ride.
• We strongly recommend you also bring a water bottle, spare tube, cell phone, ID card, and cash or credit card for emergencies.
• Rain or an impending storm at the start time cancels a ride. Wet pavement does not.
• We ride at the pace of the slowest rider. No one is left behind.
• Smiles are mandatory. We dare you not to have a great time! :)